Sunday, December 5, 2010

Ferber Method: Night 1 continued...

Well, that was a load of fun. I'm pretty well convinced Dr. Ferber must be a sadist. An hour and a half of wailing baby cries is enough to drive any mother to tears, but when he started throwing up and reaching through the rails for me, pleading with his eyes for me to pick him up, that was it. You pretty much have to ignore every instinct in your body telling you to scoop up your baby and comfort them.

So instead I sat in his room with him and held him til he went to sleep, then gingerly placed him in his bed well after he'd gone limp and started snoring. And there he remained until exactly two hours later when we did the whole thing over again. And then again. And again. This, however, is a great accomplishment for us because rather than only being able to sleep soundly between the hubs and I, he slept soundly in his own bed - even if for only a couple hours at a time. My only rule is he does not leave his room until daybreak so he can learn that his room is where he belongs when its sleepytime.

Tonight we shall give it another whirl. And Dr. Ferber, wherever you are: You are the batshit crazy one, not I.

No comments:

Post a Comment